mercredi 7 janvier 2009

Cocoon Stage - GO!

Bonsoir mes amis!

So tonight is wed going into thursday....The past few days I have entered into what I call the Cocoon stage. I've completely vulnerable Caterpillar and entered the growth stage Cocoon (Weeble, for those of you are really cool). I am building growing, preparing, and otherwise heading towards my beautiful butterfly stage from which I will dutifully and daintily fly home. Hahaha, maybe a little much on the metaphor. that's fine, everyone knows I'm comfortable with sexuality.

Yesterday I went to school and dropped off a Mandat de Cash (money order) for social security insurance. I'm basically insured out the wazoo. I have blue cross blue shield at home, that will reimburse hospital stays, I have french social security which can give me intensive care for like 50 bucks, I have ISIC insurance from my student card which also reimburses claims, and soon I will have civil liability insurance which, upon inquiry, I've learned is similar to Home Owner's Insurance. I found out from further inquiry (i'm so damn curious) that this insurance covers any simple damages to another person including staining their clothes, to breaking their leg by accident. This is how I was able to have my parents home owners insurance pay for the broken car mirror that I hit with my bike while i was out several years ago. This is a very useful insurance and I think people should probably take advantage of it more. In France I can get it for 20 euros (25 bucks) and if I damage any French belongings or bodies I can get out scotch free. So I guess I can basically galavant around without care now. J/k.

I don't believe I wrote about the AIESEC meeting. I am a member of AIESEC which is a student org in 100+ countries and I found the one here, and as advertised, the have welcomed me as their own. Their meetings are in Frenglish and they use the same acronyms and everything.. pretty sweet. Ironically enough, the club was started in France and Germany 60 years ago, but the Lyon club only began last year. It consists of 6 execs and some members. THe execs hail from many different backgrounds, including Czech, Kazakhstan (I asked about Borrat, and regretted it instantly b/c apparently it's a over drawn out subject with their country), Slovenia, Tunisa, Chinese, France, and moi. They are doing what we in AIESEC call a PBOX (project based on exchange) in which we search on a social issue and center exchange program for 4-10+ students between two nations. I am hoping to help design the program and to research for the french interests and the ability to send some people to Africa. We'll see.

I made my first friends from the AIESEC group I think and I hope that we will be good friends.

Tuesday night (AIESEC was monday)
I was at home, and I went running. I ran along the river. I think I wrote, there are two rivers, La Rhone and La Saone.

THere is a wonderful pathway along the Rhoane and it runs along as far as I know. At night the city and the old buildings are lit up wonderfully and there are many boats docked along the path. It's placed near the water level and the roads are about 20 feet up on other side, so it is a perfectly hidden little world. Although it was only 25 degrees, it was quite nice. It is also, as most of the city, very very clean. There are little playgrounds, some with slides down from the road to the walkway, benches, soccer courts, little artsy things, it very pleasant.

I got home and ate a frozen pizza, french cuisine of choise!

Today was orientation

I finally discovered the abundance of international students. I guessed about 60 or so. I know of students from Australia, Britian, US, Japan, Mexico, though I'm not sure the others, few people spoke at the meeting. It was run by the international relations crew. Charles Hadley, from Cali, french resident for 35 years. and the administrators. They are all quite friendly and Mr. Hadley has a Mr. Stephens-sense of humor and he kind of sounds like the chief from monk.

I ask him about 12 questions, and runner up I think maybe 5. people know me at least. I didn't make even one joke. I think I must be sick or something...

I spoke with some mexican students in spanish, who I first thought were from spain because of their style and their accents. I heard wrong and thought wrong, they are straight up mexico city. pretty cool. Andres and Valeria.

I met a kid who was friends with someone on my hall last year when I was an RA. Small world, I guess not really. We are on the same program.... in Barcelona I ran into UGAers randomly...

I would have to say that as of now the person I am most eager to hang out with of that crew is Mr. Hadley. To meet other people and make myself a further loudmouth, after this I am making a FB group for all these students so we can converse. Hopefully they will agree it is a good idea, but who knows. I think it depends on the name probably.

These students aren't even from the French class program. Only the students who are taking classes in English.
If you are there for a full year you can get a Bachelors I think, or at least some sort of Certificate. All the French degree students take the same schedule or same path, I think 0 electives. We are quite an anomaly there....

I found that classes are all 3 hours and don't really begin for maybe another week or more. The secret behind existence is a student card. It proves you have the insurance and all.

I walked home with some Americans and an Australian and heard about their apartment woes. the main wow is they pay 500 euro. That is like 625 a month where as I pay 450 maybe. I split off and went to electric company only to be rejected from getting my name on the bills despite my having Moya's ID card and letter explaining the situation. the only part I understood fully were the words "this won't work" and "sorry". but basically I need a letter from some leaser from last year or something. I have no idea...

I need that to get a bank account, which through AIESEC, i can get 40 euros free with BNP! Every cent counts.

ANd tonight I went to help my friend from AIESEC edit is résumé for is AIESEC internship in the US. It took much longer than expected but he bought me a McDonalds burger for 1 euro. The burger here is much sweeter, i think it is the bread. It was tasty. All that worked there were students.

The best thing today is sadly the packet of information I received. It contains all relevant facts to student life here. You can living assistance as a student if you stay here 1 yr or more, and you can get discounted meals. French life is amazingly oriented towards students. There is the bike program for 5 euros a year for 30 min free bike use all year long. There are bike stations by every major area in the city.

You can get bus discounts for 30 euros a month for unlimited rides, 1 hour long transfers across the city, bus, tram, and subway. You can get meals, as I said for 2.50 euros (about 3 bucks), and you can even get meals to go.

And all the insurance you need is maybe 300 bucks. Minimum wage is also 8.25 Euro (over 10 bucks). Life is much more situated to take care of the citizens and especially the students. I am very impressed.

Transportation here is interesting. I have only walked since being here, but I see a lot. The largest cars fit 5, and true luxury is having a trunk. Most should know that SUV's are only for military/government operations here. I haven't seen even one civilian SUV.

Because walking is so important, you see, I think, a truer sampling of society. Older people, disabled people. punks, fancy women. (all women wear boots, I think i said this) and tight jeans. Some people ride bikes, but not many. I have seen maybe 10 privately owned bikes as well.

There are a lot of Razor scooters. Some older women use them here. Like 40 years old. It is kind of funny to see.

Life here is more compartmentalized, but everyone seems to get enough. It is very interesting. It's funny because in the US i always feel like I had TOO much. too much food or space or stuff. Here, because of my situation obviously, but the way of life, you get what you need. I have what I need and little more. If I do something, I get what I need to do it. The trashcans here are small. You buy food in smaller amounts. You have smaller cars and such. Life is not bent about luxury or indulgance or anything. Just laid back doing stuff. Maybe a little more boring, really just more calm. I think it is harder to stand out so much because you have less options. I think that is why everyone also dresses so nice. It is one part of your life that you can really find a difference. People do many of the same things the same way with the same services.

today I got to talk to jessica on video chat it was very strange. to see her moving and hear her but her not be there. I've only done that maybe once before, and never with anyone so meaningful. It was pretty emotional, knowing we are so far apart. it was great. video chat is simply amazing. overwhelming, wonderful.

She got my present today in the mail. A bouquet of sunflowers (her favorite) with a balloon. It is our 4 month mark. Sad i'm not there, but still reason to celebrate. I just realized! I will get to see her on the 1/2 year! That's stupid I know but exciting. we kept talking about how we want to live together and stuff. It's strange to be excited about a long time from now.

Saji and I spoke as well. About living in Europe, economy, and plans. He commented how connected we are despite the atlantic. It is very different than before, and its hard to imagine how and the effects of it. I suppose it would be much harder to maintain relationships. but i prefer it this way, at least right now. if I wanted to ignore the US i could.

I hope Eurozone cuts interest rates so I am richer here...

I'm so tired, peace and love. (especially to you Jessica)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire