vendredi 2 janvier 2009

The New Year, The New Land, The Old Travels

My journey has begun with a many memories of home shoved together.  First I left school, packed my apartment and my life away from this semester along with it.  I was at home and I watched my family clean ferociously (I engaged a little) and I celebrated christmas.  This was the last full day in my house or in any familiar place for a while to come.  Then one night in Athens before Jessica and I headed to Missouri.  This 10 hour car trip quickly became 14 with the untimely failure of my alternator belt and the reign of angry wind and rain that attempted to discourage our journey through Illinois.  

We arrived at the hotel and the next several days were a mix of excitement and happiness to be with AIESEC and much confusion and sadness knowing that I had only a few days left in with my love.  I did my best to not steal her away from her passion for AIESEC, but at times it was hard not to complain or tug her shirt for a private moment to be with her.  

Our ride home was mundane save for the most beautiful driving sunrise I have seen.  Once again, having jessica in my arms and the mountains, trees, lakes, and beautiful sky all around me left my face with a few streaks of salt-watery happi/saddness.  I dropped Jessica off and had a couple hours to reflect.  Most were spent in silent stares and muted tears, with a small nap.  I left her standing on the stairs and I for once was not the once crying.  I did my best to inspire Jessica with hope and leave her all my very bet wishes and confidence, and I whispered in her ear of all the great times past and future that we have to share together. our future in the apartment in august seems far off, but the idea of it radiates a warmth that I swear feels like it is coming tomorrow.  I think this idea, and seeing her in general, will be like the treat hanging in front of my face for several months.  always just out of reach but oh so tantalizing.  i need that treat there. ( it will help me be strong, though at times it will bother me more than anything i think.... )

With this I drove off to my family and friends in Atlanta.  At home my parents and most my siblings, (frankie had missed her chance to come by) and nick and Saji all awaited me at home.  there was a hectic moment of goodbyes and once again I found myself headed to an airport with Nick and Saji, though this time, they didn't come with. 

The car ride was riddled with high school immaturity and comments that could make ron jeremy blush.  (maybe not)  but it left with me a fond reminder of why these two young men are easily my most important friends and funniest cohorts.  

the plane to london, the trains across it, the plan to lyon, and the bus, taxi to my apartment came and left with little left to comment or remember, for most of the time I was in a mental/emotional/physical stupor.  thoughts of jessica and my future ran through me much like the train ran through the underground of london.  it was an unfamiliar place in my mind but i knew it was always running, somewhere.  these thoughts of love and hope and my future and my goals.  sometimes it takes a trip like this to strip us down to our true nature.  i remember my feelings of the central america trip, what it did to me, to see so much and be in such a different world. 

i did meet one man from South Africa in a resteraunt in Heathrow.  Derek Govender.  Very nice and energetic.  Disney cruise chef of Indian descent.  He has an email account from google and I am supposed to contact him soon.  I believe I may have made a friend in Durbin, South Africa should I attempt to go to the world cup in 2010.  that is very convenient.  We talked in length about his life on the cruise and America in general.  

I slept for 14 hours and began to arrange my life in the past day.  I've been here for almost 30 hours or so.  I've contacted Jessica a lot and reached my family and friends via Skype.  (it is ridiculously amazing)  and I got some money.  

My room mate Moya is a black frenchmen, MBA student.  very active and nice.  Likes to skii and play soccer.  I believe we might head off to london or a ski trip together in the coming weeks.  He may be gone for an internship in March leaving me to the apartment by myself.  Hopefully by then i will be adjusted and ready for life here alone.  I am lucky for I don't think I could have found a kinder room mate.  He has friend over tonight and I was very embarrased I couldn't really communicate with her.  I think she was embarrassed as well so it's okay I think.  Tomorrow Moya is away skiing with her I think, so I'll be in here alone. 

The apartment is great.  I will post picture or a movie soon. of my neighborhood.  the address is 54 rue de lac, lyon, france 69003.  it's easy to find on google maps. you can see the area as well.  this isn't the pretty part of lyon I think, but I will explore that more this weekend.  

I've almost got myself setup.  I just need a bank account and a cell phone.  I need to do a budget and plan out stuff with jessica and saji.  I have to decide my priorities for school and french and traveling and this summer.  there is a lot to do.


----------
Some travelers notes. 

I remembered today how european culture feels more relaxed.  things aren't as in your face here.  things don't HAVE to get done.  they need to get done but the sense of urgency is much less.  there is a lot of walking and biking and buses.  it is much more relaxed in that way too.  Things are smaller and only big enough to do what they need to do.  it all fits with the european mindset.  it is okay to grow up and do something but you don't have to be a rockstar or anything.  work hard, do your stuff, have your life and enjoy it.  that is the sense you get when you are here.  even sexuality seems relaxed.  I remembered today how they breasts on TV when I saw them.  I feel like it is just presented how it is, without crazy emphasis like in US.  things are very different in small ways, and it changes your daily life in small ways, but I think it is what separates europe from US. 

on the bus into Lyon the first thing I heard was some east coast rap.  I don't know the artists.  I think it was lollipop or something.  that was the first music I heard here. just like a bar in athens.  it's ridiculous.  we export so much media.  

they have bike stations here.  for like 7 dollars a year you can borrow bikes 15 minutes at a time and you can put it back and take it out immediately with no charge.  if you need it longer it is 20 cents for like 10 minutes.  it's awesome.  to encourage less driving and stuff.  

someone asked me for directions.  I felt so dumb.  i need to get on serious review mode.  i will do a little tonight but my brain and body are still very confused so it will not be so easy.  i don't know where to start!!!

peace and love til later. 

2 commentaires:

  1. Nick,

    I hope your time in France, your time making important decisions, your time absorbing so much...well, I hope it is all you wish for. I admire your goals.

    I have to admit to getting a tad weepy reading about the goodbye between you and Jessica. Your next reunion will be all the sweeter after such a long absence.

    All the best to you,
    Elizabeth

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Nice to be able to keep up with your experiences. Don't forget to ask any Middle-Eastern baker for Mene-ish if they have it.

    When Nick Stevens (who still has my camera) and Saji were here the other night, we noticed we had not given you your "Essential Foreign Swear Words" booklet which contains the core insults needed while travelling in France, Germany and Italy. So - here, in seriel form, we can send the French translations it to you. (The Little book of Essential Foreign Swear Words, by Emma Burgess, Summersdale, - Available at Urban Outfitters).

    p. 76, Votre mère ètat un hamster, et votre pêre sentait des baies de sureau.

    "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries."

    Use it wisely - preferrably with those familiar with Monty Python.

    RépondreSupprimer